The Manifesto

Posted on May 31, 2009

Rathole Artwork

Rathole Artwork

Hey everyone, I’m pleased to announce that a new, reinvented and revived Rathole Radio is back! The website is a mess at the moment and needs major work, but I figured I’ve long procrastinated about doing a music show, and this was time for action. If I put it off any more I’d never do it, so I’ve decided to take the plunge. I’ve taken the Rathole Radio name from a podcast I did a couple of years ago as part of our Feeble Force movement. Sadly we don’t have the time to get together and chat as much as we once did. Since about January of last year there haven’t been any new Rathole Radio episodes. I hope this new format will be popular with people and I also hope to get some of the old crew back on in future. At the moment it’s basically an excuse for me to play you the best new music I find on the net. I’ll also play some live stuff myself, collecting interviews and performances from others in future.

To the right you can see the ad-hock artwork I made in a hurry this afternoon. Everything about this show is thrown together at the moment and it could be a massive disaster, but either way at least it won’t be boring. I’m doing the show every 2 weeks because I don’t have the time to do it weekly right now, and it will also give me more time to compile new playlists. I hope I don’t run out of music after 2 shows. There’s certainly plenty of great free music out there on the Internet, and this is primarily what I want to showcase. In homage to John Peel, a hero of mine, I hope to discover new and exciting artists along the way.

The music we hear in the mainstream media this days is corporate mass produced shite, basically. That might sound coarse but it’s the truth. People become obsessed with pigeonholing things, target markets and all that twaddle. For me there are only 2 types of music in the world. Music I like and music I don’t. I’m going to try and share some of that with you, and hopefully we’ll find some common ground along the way.

The show will be streamed live on Ustream and then released as a podcast as quickly as possible afterwards. I hope doing the show live and not editing heavily will speed up turn around, and lighten the load on me. Please join me over at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ratholeradio at 9pm (UK time) tonight for the pilot episode of this new show. You never know, it might even be fun πŸ˜›

Dan

What Others Are Saying

1. jezra May 31, 2009 at 7:25 pm

There was a time when music on the radio inspired and moved people. Unfortunately, that time has long since passed and radio music is simply filler between advertisements; uninspiring dribble created with the sole purpose of filling corporate pockets with money. Inspire me.

Why is the logo anti-rat?

2. Dan May 31, 2009 at 7:37 pm

@Jezra – Thanks. I certainly hope I can inspire you, but no promises. The logo isn’t meant to be anti-rat as such, I just threw it together quickly this afternoon and I like the image of the warning sign. It’s temporary. If you would like to put your considerable GIMP skills to use helping me make some proper artwork I’d be much obliged πŸ˜‰

3. kuks June 1, 2009 at 5:36 pm

So you’re a one-person-radio-station as of now?! Hm, I’m interested. Missed the show, so hope the podcast is up soon. Good luck!

4. Dan June 1, 2009 at 9:15 pm

@kuks – Thanks very much. The podcast will be out in a couple of hours, I’m working on links for all the tracks and other things in the show notes. Not long I promise πŸ˜‰

5. Jackie June 3, 2009 at 1:10 am

Heya Dan – only just heard about this, it’s great! I know we spoke quite some time ago on Jaiku about you doing some kind of music project, brilliant to see you’re actually doing it.

If you’d like to include some metal on the show I’m your gal. πŸ˜€ I’ve actually found a couple of decent metal artists on Jamendo after only one afternoon of looking. I’m pretty passionate about new and interesting ways of reinventing the music industry and discovering new artists so if I can be of any help at all feel free to wing an email my way. :)

6. Dan June 3, 2009 at 1:21 am

@Jackie – Thanks very much, I’m always interested in new music of course :) I do like a bit of metal but I’m selective, more into thrash than death metal or anything like that. I’d be pleased to hear any suggestions you have. Just drop me an email, I’d appreciate it, thanks!

7. Jackie June 3, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’m sure you’ll be getting an email or two from me in the near future then. Luckily, thrash is my favourite kind of metal, though I like many genres (both in and out of metal). I’ll try not to send you anything too growly but I can’t promise. πŸ˜€
    *wonders how long it will take before getting an email back begging for mercy* hehe

8. Dan June 3, 2009 at 1:51 pm

@Jackie – Well I did say I’d listen to anything once so bring it on. I can’t promise to like it but I’ll give anything a chance.

9. kristizz June 4, 2009 at 8:55 am

Hi Dan, good stuff, downloading to my ogg player now then off to vote!

10. Dan June 4, 2009 at 12:59 pm

@kristizz – Good stuff, I’ve already voted. I hope everyone else uses their vote too.