Episode one – 31st May 09

Posted on June 1, 2009

Direct Download – Ogg Version Mp3 Version

| Open Player in New Window

So, here it is, the first episode. I recorded this last night, Sunday 31st May 09, at 9pm UK time. It was a learning experience and trying to chat to people online at the same time is tough. You can hear a couple of moments when a song finished abruptly and nearly caught me out. I’m nothing if not professional… so that’s nothing then. I hope you enjoy this eclectic ride of music and waffling anyway. I also played a live acoustic tune which I’ll describe in more detail later. For now here’s all the information you need on the tracks I played:

Live Track: 33:55

The live track for this episode is “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” an old blues standard performed by me with my trusty acoustic guitar. I’d like to dedicate it to a friend of mine who sadly passed away not too long ago. A truly amazing blues and jazz singer in his own right, and a guy who taught me a hell of a lot – Ken Dickenson.

That’s if for this time, I hope you enjoyed my first attempt at this. I could certainly use some practice with mixing and presenting at the same time, but it’s early days. I could also do with learning not to say “errm” every other word. I’ll try and work on that.

Feedback and Suggestions:

My Studio

My Studio

In the excitement of recording and streaming my first show I neglecting to say this properly on air, if you have any suggestions for music or any other comments, please send them to me. Maybe you play music yourself, you’re in a band and would like to be on the show. That’s great. Send me a demo or whatever you have. I’m ALWAYS interested in new music. As long as I can play it on the show legally. If there’s someone you’d like me to interview or perhaps a song you’d like me to learn and play live, just send it in.

Please send your emails to: show AT ratholeradio DOT org

It just remains for me to say thank you very for taking the time to listen. I hope there was at least one new artist in the bunch you’ll be persuing, but not like a stalker, that wouldn’t be nice. I hope you’ll join me for another show in 2 weeks time. It’ll be Sunday June 14th at 9pm UK Time. You can get involved live and help me make the show, this all relies on listener input so please don’t be afraid to speak up. Details of how to listen to the live show are over on the live page.Β  I hope to see you there next time. Take care all

Dan

Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song. The rest come from the following sources:

Jamendo.com

Magnatune.com

Slamjamz.com

Creative Commons License
Rathole Radio by Dan Lynch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

What Others Are Saying

1. JonTheNiceGuy June 2, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Hi Dan,

Great first show – and a fantastic opening with “When The Chemicals Ignite With Fuel” – definitely a great track to be adding to my music player! I also really enjoyed “The Dirtiest” – I completely see where you’re coming from with the Blade Soundtrack reference.

Good Job mate!

JonTheNiceGuy

2. Dan June 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm

@Jon – Thanks very much mate, glad you enjoyed it. I’m gonna add some other little sections and features as things go on. This was really a test and I think it went pretty well, worth continuing πŸ™‚

3. missTech June 2, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Dan,
    Audio, graphics, and your ‘guitar gently weeps’. Delightful. I really appreciate fresh new avenues of musical discovery. I unplugged my blender, πŸ˜‰ Thank you so much for Ratholeradio.org

4. Dan June 2, 2009 at 5:08 pm

@missTech – Thanks to you for listening. The site still needs some work but considering I only threw it up on Sunday afternoon it’s not too bad. I want to sort out the structure a bit and the links. We’ll get there. Already getting loads of suggestions for the next show. Can’t wait, I’m like a kid with a new toy πŸ˜€

5. Hezy June 2, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Dan, good luck with the new show. I like your blend πŸ™‚

I’ve got Ruth Theodore’s album “Worm Food” (including “Nothing On”) downloaded from Jamendo a while back, and the license says cc by-nc-nd 3.0
    I think it’s a great album.

6. Dan June 2, 2009 at 6:19 pm

@hezy – Thanks dude πŸ™‚ I also downloaded Worm Food off Jamendo a while ago but it seems it’s been removed now. I couldn’t find it. Same problem with the Rinky Dinks. I think they’ve removed their music from Jamendo which is a shame. I had a look on Ruth Theodore’s website and she’s only selling CDs of Worm Food now it seems. I decided it was best not to list it as CC just to be safe. I didn’t know at the time of recording the show, I thought it was still on Jamendo. Oops

7. Fab June 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Sounds awesome, mate! You were born for this, methinks. Nice mix throughout the whole show, very relaxed. I actually liked “Elevate”, BTW. And of course I’m always one for a bit of raggae. πŸ™‚

I think this will make me discover a load of great music, which is ace! πŸ˜€

8. Dan June 2, 2009 at 8:57 pm

@Fab – Good stuff, thanks for the compliments dude. You surprise me with your hip hop tastes, I’m impressed. I hope I can help people discover some new music, that’s the aim πŸ˜‰

9. Ciaran June 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Cheers Dan, that was a good listen. All new music to me, except Arthur Cravan. That track would easily pass as an Autechre track, if you’re looking for a closer comparison, which still makes you spot on with the Warp connection. Anyway, see (hear) you next time.

Be warned – I am going to end this comment now. Don’t want to startle you into a “woah! that comment ended a bit abruptly” do I? πŸ˜‰

10. Dan June 3, 2009 at 2:39 pm

@Ciaran – Hehehehe great comment πŸ™‚ I was caught out a few times yes and I said “erm” every 2 seconds. I hope that will improve with practice. That’s kind of keeping it true to the spirit of John Peel though, I have a turntable I could hook up, so all that remains for me to do is play something at the wrong speed πŸ˜€ Good point about Autechre, I have a few friends obsessed by them, but I only know a bit of their stuff myself. Thanks for listening, hope to catch you on the live show next time.

11. Fab June 3, 2009 at 6:11 pm

That live track was amazing too. My girlfriend immediately requested it for her iPod. πŸ˜€

12. Dan June 4, 2009 at 12:14 am

@Fab – Thanks, glad she likes it. It is CC BY-SA licensed so you can copy it as much as you want πŸ™‚

13. Andrew Antle June 4, 2009 at 8:01 am

Hey Dan – Really enjoyed the show. Went and downloaded the Beat Six and Arthur Cravan albums. Rock the Pd! πŸ™‚

14. Dan June 4, 2009 at 12:54 pm

@Andrew – Thanks, glad you enjoyed it πŸ™‚

15. kristizz June 4, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Hi Dan. really liked the show. The Ruth Theodore track was very cool and your “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” was nice too; Gordon Brown’s gonna be singing along in the morning!

Your taste is music is pretty much like mine-I’m into stuff from Woody Guthrie through to Blackalicious and everything in between.

If you keep this podcast up you should go down in history as a real free-culture soldier!

16. Dan June 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm

@Kristizz – Thanks man, I like Woody Guthrie and Blackalicious too πŸ˜€ Plus plenty of other stuff. I’ve already had a lot of suggestions for the next show and I’m getting in touch with some musicians I know. I hope to expand the format a bit with guests and features. Fingers crossed. Thanks for listening

17. Kalebarkab June 9, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I want to find good pop music. Help me please.

18. Daniel Costalis June 10, 2009 at 11:15 am

Great show! Thanks for doing this, and I hope you keep it up!

19. Dan June 10, 2009 at 1:50 pm

@Daniel – No worries, thanks for listening πŸ™‚

20. banananas June 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm

just checked in here and started to follow and listen and enjoying and discovering… pretty encouraging what you are doing here !

Thanks for all the good work and all the best for supporting and stuff !

Cheers !

21. Dan June 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Thanks very much, I appreciate the kind words. I hope you continue to enjoy the show πŸ™‚