Episode 5 – 26th July 09

Posted on July 27, 2009

Rathole Artwork

RatholeRadio.org

Download OggDownload Mp3

| Open Player in New Window

Here we are at episode 5 of Rathole Radio, and it’s an eclectic mix of music as always. I hope you enjoy it. I played live this time, there was some more amusing technical failings and lots of waffling while I recovered. I also broadcast this in a proper Icecast radio stream for the first time. More detailsΒ  of that on the live page. It worked well and I’m excited about it!! This show was broadcast originally at 9pm on Sunday July 26th, I hope you enjoy the recording. Here’s the vital details:

29:27 – I mentioned the Jamendo playlist setup by Daz Fuller, thanks man!

News Story: 38:00 – A New Kind Of Record Company – Radiohead’s manager Brian Message involved in the creation of a new label which will give artists a fairer deal and emphasize digital distribution of music.

• 43:17 — The Lone Gunmen – Tomandedd – License Unknown

Live Acoustic Track – 51:23 –Β  My version of “Hurt” by Nine Inch Nails. A well known track and possibly overplayed but that doesn’t stop me playing it again.

Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, I probably won’t be around much, but if people want to hang around in there and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks. I’ll be back with a live show on Sunday 9th of August at 9pm UK Time. Please join me and contribute to the live show, it’s a lot of fun.

Subscribe to the show: Mp3 feedOgg FeediTunes

Emails & Messages: Taiyo Rawle, Ian Folland, Daz Fuller, Philip Durbin, Dan Costalis, Fiona Burrows, EdyTheMighty and many other people. I’m still working through your suggestions so if you haven’t heard yours yet don’t worry, you still may in future. Please send more!!!

Send all feedbackΒ  and suggestions to – show@ratholeradio.org

You can also find me on Twitter and Identi.ca

Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song. The rest come from the following sources:

Jamendo.com

Slamjamz.com

Creative Commons License
Rathole Radio by Dan Lynch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

What Others Are Saying

1. John Hunt July 28, 2009 at 5:45 am

Hi Dan!

Great show as usual, love it..keep it up. I had a quick suggestion – that is, have you thought about normalising the tracks before playing them? I found the volume was a bit jumpy in this ep, perhaps that’s just me though. Anyway, cheers!

2. Philip July 28, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Another great show, thank you! πŸ™‚ I am loving the live acoustic tracks, you are very talented. I hope you are going to put out an acoustic collection when you have enough material!?

3. Dan July 28, 2009 at 4:39 pm

@John – Thanks πŸ™‚ I do tend to open the tracks and normalize tracks in Audacity but I didn’t have time to do all of them before this show, which may explain the odd jump. I do compress the recordings heavily afterwards though as they do with all radio really. I really need to put my analogue compressor in the chain and that would probably be a lot easier. Will try and do that soon, time allowing. It should iron out any problems I hope. Good point

4. Dan July 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm

@Philip – Thanks man I appreciate it. I’ve been threatening to finally record an album for years but things seems to always get in the way. I’m not sure I could get away with releasing a collection of covers because of the copyright issue. I do have quite a few original songs which I will work in over time. I also hope to have other artists perform on the show. I’m really just filling the space because I don’t have any guests at the moment. Things will develop I’m sure πŸ™‚ Incidentally Crunchbang helped me revive a very old laptop I’m now using for the live Icecast stream. So you played your part too πŸ˜‰

5. Rob July 29, 2009 at 9:48 am

Great show again Dan. I’d be in favour of hearing some of your original stuff too! Keep up the good work.

6. Dan July 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm

@Rob – Thanks, I will sort something out for future weeks. I have some ideas for possible guests as well, so I’ll see what I can organize πŸ™‚

7. Daz Fuller July 29, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Great show, even better as its the first one I’ve been able to catch live πŸ˜€

8. Dan July 29, 2009 at 8:50 pm

@daz – Thanks, you even got a mention. Not bad for your first time on a live show πŸ˜‰

9. Narc July 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm

You’re not shit, you should not give this up (teach you to ask for it!) πŸ˜›

Lovely work on this episode, I’m sorry I missed the live show (was away from the Internets this weekend). That said, am glad I didn’t miss the playing of Phoenix on the live show (hint, hint!).

Cheers and keep up the good ones!

(in completely unrelated news, it took me 30 minutes to debug my OpenID… from a train, on the way home. I love technology, don’t you? πŸ™‚ )

10. Dan July 31, 2009 at 12:22 am

@Narc – Thanks for listening. I haven’t forgotten about the Phoenix stuff don’t worry πŸ˜‰

11. missTech August 2, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Hi Dan,
    Another great show. I’ve found 1 or 2 new-to-me artists I like in each episode. And another live performance by you here ~ loved it! Thanks so much for all your hard work, I really appreciate it. Best wishes!

12. Dan August 3, 2009 at 1:05 am

@missTech – Thanks for the kind words πŸ™‚

13. dismal_denizen August 4, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Your rendition of Hurt made my day! When I heard that you were choosing between a Nine Inch Nails song and something else I had to prevent myself from screaming “Go for Reznor!” at my MP3 player.
    Any chance that you could play any songs from NIN’s free album “The Slip” (they’re CC)?

14. Dan August 5, 2009 at 12:15 am

@Dismal – Glad you liked the song, thanks πŸ™‚ I know NiN released some stuff under CC but I haven’t had a chance to properly listen to it all yet. I’ll fix that ASAP and probably play some in future yes. Good to see mainstream artists with a clue what the Internet is about at last.