RatholeRadio 44 – 23rd Jan 2011
Posted on January 26, 2011
Just when you thought it was safe… another Rathole Radio surfaces! This time I play my usual mix of eclectic music by the best independant and Creative Commons artists. We’ve got some Sourthern Rock, some electro, some jaunty jazz, some Nerdcore and plenty more besides. I also give my rendition of one of my favourite songs, “Mr Jones” by Counting Crows, complete with suspect guitar tuning and the occasional wrong chord. Well at least it proves it’s live. Hope you enjoy the ride.
- 00:00 – The Hall Monitors – Peggy Sue – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – This wild and crazy foursome from Washington D.C. bring their fuzzed out garage/R&B to the WFMU studios, where the halls are no longer safe!
- 04:08 – Polar Kid – Minus 34 – License Unknown – AKA Luke Miles from Brighton in the UK. He’s making some beautiful electronica and well worth checking out, slightly Boards Of Canada. You can get his latest EP “Norsk” from Bandcamp.
- 08:24 – Amelie – Get High – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – An Italian indie band I played some time ago. I was reminded by Morton on Identi.ca as he suggested their song “Shake You”, that didn’t do it for me but this next track on the album did. Funny how that happens.
- 16:00 – Fit and the Conniptions – Drinking On My Own Again – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – Quirky little tune from London singer-songwriter Wayne Myers. This was suggested by Yorvyk (AKA Steve) on email so thanks for that. I’m intruigued that it says “Produced by Wayne Myers and The Chicken”. Who’s the Chicken? We’ll probably never know. I was curious about the word conniption.
- 17:50 – Keyboard Rebel – Mondeo – CC BY-NC Licensed – Another track by this great MancheKeyboard Rebelster band. Will try to get in touch with them for an interview or a session.
- 24:18 – Deafinition – Influence – License Unknown – From Scrub Club Records, still planning to talk to the main man MaddHatter in future. He already agreed.
- 28:10 – The Black Beards – Honky Tonk Garrito Bar – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A Spanish rock group I found on Jamendo.
- 36:03 – Lar Clobsay – I Never Do What You Want – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Apparently a composer from France, plays piano, synth and guitar. Don’t know who the singer is. Not much detail available.
- 42:56 – LIVE TUNE – The classic “Mr Jones” by Counting Crows, or at least my rendition of it. Not an easy song to pull off with just guitar and vocal, it goes on quite a bit. I hope you enjoy it anyway.
- 49:45 – David Rovics – Song For Bradley Manning – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – This audio is taken from a video David recorded on his phone, he’s trying to raise money to record a decent studio version and make a video. If you’ve like to help you can head to DavidRovics.com and click the donate button.
- 60:17 – BURNOUT – Number2 – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Recommended by Kevie, I also love that their album is titled “On Strike Again”, quite ironic for a French band.
- I also apologised for my absence on the next live show date (Feb 6th). There will be a special pre-recorded show with guest MC Frontalot.
Massive thanks to Sijmen Cozijnsen and Espen Vestre Rorvik for their kind donations. This helps to keep the show running and all money goes on server costs and upkeep. If you’d like to chip in, however large or small, I appreciate it. You can use the Paypal button to the right. You don’t need a Paypal account credit cards are accepted. Thank you!
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Send all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
Next show: Sunday 6th February 2011 at 9pm UK time **Pre-Recorded Sorry**
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, I probably won’t be around much, but if people want to hang around in there and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Support the show: if you’d like to leave a tip and help pay for the cost of making the show please use the Paypal button in the sidebar of the site.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.
The rest come from the following sources: Jamendo.com
Rathole Radio by Dan Lynch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Proud Member of The Association Of Music Podcasting – visit musicpodcasting.org for more details.