RatholeRadio 77 – 29th Apr 2012
Posted on May 1, 2012
The last regular show before the Rathole Roadshow event ion May 11th. I played a wide selection of music as always, and I even managed to squeeze in a live acoustic track. Lots of chilled out tunes this time for some reason, so put your feet up and enjoy.
- 00:00 – Juanitos – Soul Africa – CC BY-SA Licensed – Juanitos is an internationally-minded SoulJazz inspired group from Chambry, France. They’ve been making all kindsa exotic beats since 1991. Soul Africa is an irresistible Afrobeat & reggae-leaning funk album released in 2010 on Jamendo.
- 06:58 – P’Chenga – What’s The Difference? – License Unknown – Friends of mine and fellow Rathole Roadshow artists. I wanted to share a track of theirs. This is an old live recording that I know the lads aren’t massively happy with but it’s the best thing we have at the moment. They have a new drummer and will have new better recorded material soon.
- 11:17 – Secret Archives Of The Vatican – Blue Moons – CC BY-NC Licensed – A friend told me recently there wasn’t enough drum & bass in the show lately. This is a nod in their direction. Secret Archives Of The Vatican AKA Vince Millet is a giant in the CC music scene. Check out Broken Drum Records if you haven’t already.
Writing On The Wall Piracy event, I’m chairing the discussion. Thursday May 3rd at The Attic in Parr St, Liverpool. £4 entry. CC, ORG and Ian Prowse.
- 22:38 – Dan Bull – Sharing Is Caring – CC Zero Licensed – UK protest rapper Dan Bull has released this latest single. You can hear a bit of Eminem influence in this Facebook track. Friend of the show Tim Dobson has been involved in promoting this and it’s an attempt to get a CC track into the UK charts. They’ve done 10 remixes and if you buy each one it counts towards the same chart entry. Madness. I suppose it does show how pointless the charts are these days ultimately.
- 26:34 – 20lb Sounds – Jimmy Carter – CC BY-SA Licensed – Whoops, how did this get in there? Just thought I’d remind you of this track in the build up to the Rathole Roadshow in Liverpool on Friday May 11th. FREE EP AVAILABLE.
- 34:54 – Electronic Ping Pong Orchestra – Eternal Hope – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – My good friend Bob and his project Electronic Ping Pong Orchestra. I like this bit of minimal electro and it’s off a CD he kindly gave me.
- 38:08 – Damscray – Saria Bride – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – An interesting bit of trip hop influenced music. I’ve played this artist before but I still don’t know a terrific amount about them.
46:00 – LIVE TRACK – “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out”. I’ve played this before but it’s a blues standard and I love it, so I figured I’d do it again.
- 51:10 – Ex-Friendly – Simply Bootieful – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – A nice piece of laid back soul from Free Music Archive. It’s a bit long but it’s a great relaxed tune. Has a classic soul sound and I’m reminded of Al Green in parts by the vocal.
Next show will be the roadshow live on Friday May 11th @ 8pm UK. 3 hours plus of great live music. Come and get involved.
63:37 – Tenpenny Joke – Never Enough – CC BY-SA Licensed – This is actually 2 tracks by Aussie rockers Tenpenny Joke, I’ve played them before. The acoustic picking bit that’s mixed in at the end is listed as a separate track called Shadow In The Glass. You can get this on Jamendo and it’s from the album Ambush On All Sides which I recommend.
Donations: A massive thanks to Paul Platt, Paul Hargrave & Armin Krauss for contributing.
Flattr: Eksortso, Lemniscate, Theru & Ovidproject who Flattred us in the last 2 weeks.
Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Please spread the word about the show. Tell 1 friend, it could make a big difference if everyone does it.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
You can also find me on Twitter and Identi.ca. Like us on Facebook.
Next Live Show: Friday May 11thth 2012 at 8:00pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, but if people want to hang around and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.
Rathole Radio is a proud member of the Association Of Music Podcasting.