RatholeRadio 80 – 10th June 2012
Posted on June 12, 2012
Normal service continues this week as I played an eclectic selection of the best independent music on the web and also chatted about all kinds of rubbish. I attempted a live song but broke a string halfway through and had to abort. So instead I’ve embedded the last live acoustic video I did on YouTube for your listening pleasure. Hope it makes up for it. Enjoy the show 🙂
- 00:00 – Edward Khil – Trolololol – License Unknown – This is a classic 1970’s Russian pop song. The original song was censored because the lyrics were deemed unsuitable by the state. So Khil just made random noises and removed all the words. It was rediscovered in recent years and has become an Internet phenomena. Apparently it’s sometimes known as the “Russian Rickroll”. He died just recently.
- 06:09 – Panther Solo – Lap Quilting With Georgia Bonesteel – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – This was sent to me by friend of the show Adrian McEwen and it’s actually by a mutual acquaintance of ours. Check out Paul’s music at the website and grab the album Buff Low Noise, it’s very good.
- 09:43 – Lightnin Seed – Stone Root – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – I heard this on CCHits recently and enjoyed it. More info.
- 17:24 – You Me Tree – Lights – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Friends of the show, the guys played last year at the 2011 roadshow and went down a storm. They are now called You Me Tree and released a self titled EP on May 18th. This is the third track from it. Expect to hear more in the coming weeks.
- 21:30 – Merseycide – Richard – CC BY-NC Licensed – Also known as the Dick Limerick Academy on Soundcloud. These lads hail from Liverpool in case you couldn’t tell and I have to thank Graham Holland for sending them my way. After hearing some of the tracks I realised I’d actually seen them live doing a support slot last year.
- 30:42 – Songs Of Trees – Mister Thanatos – License Unknown – An artist submission this one. Kevin Osborne sent release my way and apparently in Greek mythology Thanatos is the Grim Reaper. Which gives the song some extra weight. Find more info at the Sounds Unique website.
- 33:32 – errnois – happiness – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – The opening track from the last CCHits.net. A strange and experimental piece of music that I found interesting. Read info.
- 43:32 – Bryyn – Lettace In My Pants (reprise) – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – I played a track by this Swiss artist, careful how you say that, last week. I heard this one via Jamendo and the title intrigued me. Love the mention of Charlie Sheen in the lyrics too.
48:54 – LIVE SONG – 20lb Sounds – “Change” (acoustic) — Aborted due to broken string mid song, gah! Probably for the best after hearing it back. Man it sounded rough. Apologies. Try the video below instead:
- 53:35 – Radio Star – A Common Tale – CC BY-SA Licensed – Heard this via Jamendo radio and liked it a lot. The vocal style reminds me a bit of Robert Smith from The Cure in parts. There’s almost no information about this band on Jamendo so if you know any more please pass it on. Their profile is managed by Isotope Records who are based in Australia but has no links on it.
- 62:12 – I Am Not Lefthanded – Falls To Me – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – From the new album The Fire & The Sigh which you can find at their website. The guys have relocated to California and seem to be doing really well. They’ve currently got a Kickstarter campaign up to fund their trip to play the North By Northeast Festival.
Thanks to everyone who’s clicked the Flattr buttons to support the show recently.
Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Please spread the word about the show. Tell 1 friend, it could make a big difference if everyone does it.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
You can also find me on Twitter and Identi.ca. Like us on Facebook.
Next Live Show: Sunday June 24th 2012 at 9:00pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, but if people want to hang around and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.
Rathole Radio is a proud member of the Association Of Music Podcasting.