RatholeRadio 55 – Jun 26th 2011
Posted on June 28, 2011
Time for the mix of great independent music and waffling I like to call Rathole Radio. In episode 55 I played a wide range of styles as usual and I even welcomed back the live acoustic song after a few weeks off. Hope you enjoy the show and don’t forget to send feedback.
- 00:00 – UltraSyd – Dead But Still Dancing – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – Don’t know much about this artist but I love the track. Heard it on CCHits. Appears to be 2 guys from the pics on the website. Will try to find out more. The website has a lot of content but no real description of members, location etc.
- 07:00 – David Gibb & The Pony Club – I’ll Fall – License Unknown – Heard this on Liverpool Acoustic Spotlight and had to play it. David has a lot of information online and his website is good, if 100% Flash. He was nominated for the BBC 2 Folk Awards and together with his band The Pony Club I think he’ll go far. His voice reminds me a bit of James Blunt.
- 09:55 – The Nancy McKeen Bluz Machine – Third Rail – License Unknown – This track was emailed to me along with a load of others. There is nothing in the world quite like a wailing blues guitar.
- 15:57 – Brokenkites – Besides – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – A great bit of chilled out electro from this US artist. This is taken from the album Parameter Relocation released earlier in the year. You’ll probably hear more of this in futures. Check it on on Jamendo.
- 19:49 – Declan Doherty (AKA Shaky Horse) – When Will You See – All Rights Reserved – Emailed to me by John Whitmore and we had a great discussion about podcasting and promoting CC among the Irish Folk scene. Declan has a great voice with character and I like this track.
- 27:49 – Jonathan Coulton – Re: Your Brains – CC BY-NC Licensed – What can I say about Jonathan that I haven’t already. A truly great Creative Commons artist. This is one of his most popular songs. Singing Zombies, you got to love it.
- 32:16 – MC Frontalot – Zero Day – All Rights Reserved – The title track from his Zero Day album, and it’s freely available from Front’s website. Can’t believe I haven’t played it before. Former guest on the show, listen to episode 45 to hear me talking with Front.
- 40:30 – Diagrams – Antelope – License Unknown – heard on this on AMPed 288 and it comes from Insomnia Radio UK. This is a quirky track and it’s hard to know how to describe. It appealed to me and it’s available free on Soundcloud. I’ll be hosting AMPed next week
- 44:44 – LIVE TRACK – 20lb Sounds – Late In The Game – CC BY-SA Licensed – An acoustic version of a new track by my band. It sounds a lot more rocking with the band but hopefully it comes across well enough stripped down.
- 50:42 – Bruce Benson – “The Healing Prayer” – License Unknown – featuring the late Clarence Clemons on saxophone – In lieu of receiving any money for the download, Benson simply requests that each downloader make whatever donation he or she can to Why Hunger. Under the “Type of Donation” section, donors are asked to complete the section to read, “In Honor of Clarence Clemons and The Healing Prayer.”
I mentioned Catalyst Radio, a streaming UK radio station who have asked if they can use Rathole Radio to increase their music output. I agreed of course. I don’t have the full details but episodes of RR will be appearing in their schedule from now on.
- 61:33 – Heifervescent – Figure 8 – BY-NC-ND Licensed – From the new album Further Adventures In Monkeyland but this Southport artist. I should really contact him and get up there for an interview, it’s only 30mins away from Liverpool. His voice reminds me a little of Ian Brodie in parts.
A big thanks to everyone who helps support the show. Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use that Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Send all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
Next show: Sunday July 10th 2011 at 9pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, I probably won’t be around much, but if people want to hang around in there and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Support the show: If you’d like to leave a tip and help pay for the cost of making the show please use the Paypal button in the sidebar of the site. Or click the Flattr buttons.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.
The rest come from the following sources: Jamendo.com
Rathole Radio by Dan Lynch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Proud Member of The Association Of Music Podcasting – visit musicpodcasting.org for more details.