RatholeRadio 72 – 19th Feb 2012
Posted on February 22, 2012
Time for another Rathole Radio already. No guests this time just an eclectic selection of independent music, a live performance and a ton of incoherent waffling as usual. So put your slippers on, relax and enjoy the show.
- 00:00 – Houdini Roadshow – Gimme Gimme – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – German rockers who I’ve played a couple of times before. The last song I played was called Gimme Blood, they like the word Gimme it seems.
- 07:05 – Songs Of Trees – Can I Say – License Unknown – This is taken from the Sounds Unique website. Sounds Unique is primarily the alter-ego of Kevin Osborne. He sent this via Soundcloud and I contacted him for permission to play it. There’s a videoforitonYouTube. You can get his music on iTunes and a variety of other places.
- 08:53 – MKMN99 – Dwell In Darkness (VIP) – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A slice of Dubstep courtesy of Pete Cogle from PC Podcast and his nose for fine music. I heard this on AMPed via him. The track comes from an EP In Dub We Trust released on netlabel EPHEDRINA. It’s free to download, though you do have to enter your email address. A small price to pay. Go and get it!
- 17:10 – Hannah Hart – Oh Internet – All Rights Reserved – A track I was tipped off to by my Linux Outlaws co-host Fabian Scherschel. Lovely tune and funny lyrics. There’s also an amazing video for this on YouTube. Hannah intended this to be an anti-SOPA song but it morphed into something more.
- 20:18 – Mutate Now – A Is For Atom (Einstein’s Theory Mix) – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – This was an artist submission through Soundcloud. Mutate Now are from Blehlow in Germany. The Geiger counter made me think of Kraftwerk and there’s an obvious German connection but the beat is definitely not Kraftwerk, far more industrial.
- 28:26 – Hazernomical – Love Me Notts – CC BY-SA Licensed – A rapper from Queens, New York I found via Jamendo. He’s riding high in the Jamendo rap section right now and I liked this song a lot. Nice groove. Even if I’m not sure about the lyrics. You can download the album free from Jamendo and it’s all CC goodness.
- 31:18 – Shambles Miller – For The Would–Be Woody Guthrie – CC BY Licensed – Can’t remember how I stumbled across this Scottish singer-songwriter but I suspect @Kevie may be involved again. Love this song. He has a great voice and an interesting sense of humour.
- 45:06 – Mad Mav – Psycologic Warfare – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – This is a bit of German instrumental metal with almost classical piano at times. I wasn’t sure what to make of it at first but it really grew on me. The band are from Munich and this is off the EP Catch The Bullet, which you can find on Jamendo.
- 57:55 – Abscent Feet – Poor Joe – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Another suggestion from @kevie, he’s on form this week. Abscent Feet are an Italian indie band from Rome and this track stood out from their EP for me. You can find them on MySpace. Their EP was released on Jamendo just last week.
Donations: No donations to mention this time but thank you to all the wonderful people who supported the show via Flattr! Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Please spread the word about the show. Tell 1 friend, it could make a big difference if everyone does it.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
You can also find me on Twitter and Identi.ca. Like us on Facebook.
Next Live Show: Sunday March 4th 2012 at 9:30pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, but if people want to hang around and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.
Rathole Radio is a proud member of the Association Of Music Podcasting.