RatholeRadio 63 – 16th Oct 2011
Posted on October 19, 2011
Watch out here comes Rathole Radio number 63, peeking out from behind the bushes. We had a great time chatting on Sunday night and I was pleased to exclusively play a new 20lb Sounds studio track for everyone. I also sang one of my favourite songs live and shared my usual blend of eclectic music.
- 00:00 – No Snow No Alps– Luminerao – License Unknown– Bought on CD Baby – From Nick Tann and Is This Thing On Podcast, via AMPed. Did a gig with this band in London.
- 06:46 – The Chicago Kingsnakes– Stop Drop and Roll – License Unknown – A great Chicago blues band. Head this one via The Roadhouse podcast and apparently the band have been going since 1983.
- 09:52 – Whiteshoulders – Eart – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/26060— Experimental French electro from Whiteshoulders. This also came up during the “coffee” search. It’s different but I like it. I can’t explain why
- 16:08 – Oneside – Into The Night – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Another one from CCHits. Will talk more about that in a bit. Nice vocals on this and great production.
- 20:16 – MyNameIsJohnMichael – Elders – License Unknown – Another great track from this New Orleans artist. I originally discovered them via those great Creative Commons compilations of New Orleans bands my friend EdyTheMighty tipped me off to. Since exchanged some nice messages with the artist.
- 27:55 – Alex Palumbo – Awkward Silence (Markojux Remix) – CC-BY-NC-ND Licensed – Heard this one on CCHits. A bit of minimal techno, which isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but give it a chance. You can download this from Soundcloud.
- 39:39 – Lorelei Loveridge – Oh India – License Unknown – I first heard of Lorelei via Graham Holland of Liverpool Acoustic Spotlight. I then went to see her at the View Two Gallery in Liverpool and loved the show. She played this song with her band at the time, who were also all very talented.
- 43:38 – Freeky Cleen – Can’t You Hear Me Callin – CC BY-SA Licensed – Heard this on CCHits again and loved it. Anyone else getting a Robert Plant vibe from the singer? No bad thing! Hat’s off to JonTheNiceGuy for the find. Met his wife and young child (Daniel) yesterday. Apparently he already has a Twitter account, nice work.
50:51 – LIVE SONG – Counting Crows – Round Here – A favourite song of mine from a favourite band of mine. They had a big influence on my in my music college days. I still love them and the songwriting of Adam Duritz is something I’ve always aspired to.
- 58:31 – Burning Shapes – Silence Amplified – License Unknown – This is a 4 piece band from Kent in England. They’re currently giving away their entire album through a fascinating QR code treasure hunt. The codes are posted on random websites and also printed out sometimes at gigs. Amazing idea, I love it. The song is good too. Thanks to Toby from Coffee Artists for sending this to me.
- 66:25 – 20lb Sounds – Rip It Up – CC BY-SA Licensed – The first of the new studio recordings from my band. This is a world exclusive first play. There is more new material to come and it’s gonna get better and better. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
Next show: Sunday October 30th 2011 at 9pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, I probably won’t be around much, but if people want to hang around in there and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Subscribe to the show and get it delivered for free: Mp3 feed – Ogg Feed – iTunesSupport the show: If you’d like to leave a tip and help pay for the cost of making the show please use the Paypal button in the sidebar of the site. Or click the Flattr buttons.