RatholeRadio 64 – Oct 30th 2011
Posted on November 2, 2011
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m sixty four? That’s right Rathole Radio number 64 is upon us. I got most of the tracks from Jamendo this time and they’re full of Creative Commons goodness, plus marrowbone jelly. Ok, no marrowbone jelly but have a listen anyway. You might enjoy them. I also reprised a live version of “Stringman” by Neil Young.
- Shearer – Day’s End – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A track from one of the most popular rock bands on Jamendo. Shearer hail from Germany and I like their frantic sound. I’ve played theme before but this track comes form the 2010 album Monument which is new to me.
- Microcobra – Mizuki’s Last Chance – Backlash (Microcobra Mix Edition) – License Unknown – Heard this one via AMPed and the award winning Pete Cogle of PC Podcast. A great piece of 8-bit electro from netlabel Sociopath Recordings.
- The Underground Collective – Melodios Hamonics – CC BY-SA Licensed – From a compilation called Mix Tape vol 2 which you can get on Jamendo. Short but sweet I thought. Nice track.
- Plug’n’Play – Lost A Friend – CC BY-SA Licensed – You could easily be fooled into thinking this band were British with the jangly indie sounds and Morrisey-esque vocal. Actually they’re Polish. This Lublin-Warsaw band released a wonderfully titled EP Whoreship in 2008. Grab it from Jamendo.
- Stefano Mocini – Leaving You – CC BY-SA Licensed – A great Italian pianist. Check out his album A Cat Playing on Jamendo. I highly recommend it. Lovely instrumental piano music. Love the artwork. Possible Lolcatz endorsement on the horision I think
CCHits.net 1st birthday was last week. Great work Jon!
- Vampire TNA – Mean Parade – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – An interesting Greek electro artist I found on a dubstep playlist in Jamendo.
- Sean Wright – Sipping On A Red Bull – CC BY Licensed – A strange but interesting rock tune from British artist Sean Wright. I like his voice and it has a slightly Bobby Gillespie vibe to my ear. The song seems oddly concerned with Red Bull, no commercial endsorsements here!
- Mr.Tac a.k.a. “Chocolate” – Where I Come From – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Some phat hip hop from an artist I’ve played before. New York producer and rapper Mr Tac. Love this track, great beat and a nice flow.
LIVE TRACK: I was a little under-prepared so I asked the IRC for song suggestion and Gamerchick02 mentioned Neil Young. I wanted to play “Stringman” again for everyone. I know I’ve done it before but hopefully you like it.
- Esgi – Alone Again – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – A nice bit of Ambient music I found on Jamendo. This artist is British and this is from the 2007 album Echos In Time. Great chill out music.
There’ll be an extra bonus Barcamp Liverpool show on Friday November 18th. More details to follow
A big thanks to everyone who helps support the show financially. It’s a non-profit enterprise. You donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link in the sidebar, and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
Next show: Sunday November 13th 2011 at 9pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, I probably won’t be around much, but if people want to hang around in there and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Support the show: If you’d like to leave a tip and help pay for the cost of making the show please use the Paypal button in the sidebar of the site. Or click the Flattr buttons.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.