RatholeRadio 69 – 8th Jan 2012
Posted on January 10, 2012
The first Rathole Radio of 2012. Supposedly it’s the end of the world this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make time to check out some of the best independent musicians you’ve never heard. I skipped the live song this time but only because I had a bumper show already. Hope you enjoy it.
- 00:00 – The Happy Problem – Matador – License Unknown – Another track from New York rockers The Happy Problem. This was sent to me via Soundcloud so a big thanks to singer Sam Shaber for getting touch.
- 06:08 – Lucid Music – They’re Not Ready – License Unknown – I’m getting a great Jurassic 5 vibe from this track and anyone who knows me knows I love J5. These guys hail from Pittsburgh, PA. I picked this one up from AMPed it was submitted by The Hip-Hop Zone.
- 09:26 – Thom Morecroft – Holly – License Unknown – Thom Morecroft is a young singer-songwriter from Shrewsbury, currently living and studying in Liverpool. Thom is also a prolific youtuber, and will attempt to sing and record any song that’s requested. Go on, try him! – From Liverpool Acoustic Spotlight
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!! – Rathole Roadshow 3 – Friday April 27th – LEAF, Liverpool
- 18:51 – Quantum Jazz – If I Can’t Dance It’s Not My Revolution – CC BY-SA Licensed – I got a nice email from Danish friend of the show Don_S with more recordings from his fabulous jazz band. Sadly the band are no longer together, one of the members has moved to another country. They still posted a great album on Jamendo though which I highly recommend to all jazz fans.
- 29:44 – Monkey Gland Blues Band – Like The Blues Man Do – License Unknown – CD arrived in the post from listener Tom Sparrow who says “I wanted to do a bit of promotion for my Nephew’s band “The Monkey Gland Blue’s band” and wondered if you would play a track on Linux Outlaws one week.” I had a listen and liked the sounds.
- 33:17 – Chinese Man – Racing With The Sun – License Unknown – From Pete Cogle “Chinese Man’s “Racing With The Sun” is my album of 2011. This turntablist/Hip-Hop collective have kept my iPod warm for many months now, so here’s the title track.” – From PC Podcast with Pete Cogle
- 41:45 – Zosh Cardo – Level My Scales – License Unknown – I got an email from Kriss Flow about this. Apparently they heard about the show via Is This Thing On? Nick Tann’s podcast. They say “ Think Portishead,Massive Attack,Thom Yorke, Unkle,Tricky, Burial…. We are playing @ Dublin Castle, Camden, London on 4th of Jan and Monto Water Rats on 1st of Feb.” – Artist Submission
- 45:08 – Phoenix Imago – Someone I Can Be Alone With – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Another artist submission via Soundcloud. This was a private track on there but it is listed as Creative Commons. I’ve emailed Rob to find out where you can go to get a copy. Great summery soulful sound. – Artist Submission
- 52:24 – Boxcar Bandits – Cell Phone – License Unknown – From Rich “Cell Phone is from the Boxcar Bandits latest release “Life from Dan’s Silverleaf”. The song is a great example of the energy exhibited by the band during their live performances. This Denton, Texas based group can found playing the stage almost every Monday at Dan’s Silverleaf.” Rich describes their style as “Skunkgrass”, not a term I’ve heard, in this context at least. – From Audio Gumshoe
- 60:09 – Nadine Carina – Some Chocolate And Cigarettes – License Unknown – (Facebook page) From Graham “Nadine Carina is a Swiss singer/songwriter who sings dreamy folk songs with her guitar and piano. Currently studying at the Leeds College of Music, last September saw Nadine release her first album ‘Magic Box’ on the Stattmusik label.” – From Liverpool Acoustic Spotlight
Donations: Thank you to Gamerchick02 and all the wonderful people who supported the show via Flattr! Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Please spread the word about the show. Tell 1 friend, it could make a big difference if everyone does it.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
Next show: Sunday January 22nd 2012 at 9pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, but if people want to hang around and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song. Rathole Radio is a proud member of the Association Of Music Podcasting.