RatholeRadio 70 – 22nd Jan 2012
Posted on January 25, 2012
Rathole Radio 70 is here already, where does the time go? I played my usual eclectic mix of independent music, performed a live song on the guitar, and generally talked too much. I’m sure I also said “erm” far too many times. I hope you enjoy the show. Don’t forget to hook up with up on social networks, leave comments and send emails. I’m interested to know what you think.
- 00:00 – Jonathan Coulton – Skullcrusher Mountain – CC BY-NC Licensed – Do I need to say anything about Jonathan Coulton at this point? A CC music legend. I realised this week that I’ve only ever played 2 songs of his on the show. Have to get some more in.
- 07:38 – DubTrak – Sandblaster Dub - CC BY-NC Licensed – A group I discovered through CCHits and then investigated more. I got their EP off the Audiocast Productions netlabel.
- 14:03 – The Corinthians – The Hot One (Feat Nicky Talent) - License Unknown – A local Liverpool group I saw supporting the Jungle Brothers last year and loved it. I had a chat to Nicky Talent at the gig and they’re really nice lads. Fingers crossed I can get them on the line up for the Rathole Roadshow at LEAF on Friday May 11th.
There’s also a 20lb Sounds gig at The Zanzibar in Liverpool, Saturday Feb 4th at about 8pm. Stage time not known yet. Entry is only 4 quid, bargain.
- 21:25 – laslow1988 – Violin High – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – Interesting mix of classical and rock from this German outfit. This is from the album Panic Attack. They’re based in Berlin but there’s not a lot of other information on Jamendo. I tracked them down on Last.fm and some other places.
- 24:49 – airtone – something – CC BY-NC Licensed – Heard this on CCHits and absolutely loved it. Can’t find any information about the artist or the track after searching. The artist website just doesn’t load for me. Will try to find out more. There’s lots of stuff on ccMixter by airtone.
- 33:30 - Monkeys In Love – Traffic Or Not - License Unknown – I met Laura and her partner at an arts event in Liverpool last year. They’re based in Manchester and this is a pre-release track from their upcoming album Death Jeans. It’s due out on Feb 20th on Valentine Records. There’ll be a lunch party/gig on Feb 17th but I don’t have more details of that yet.
- 41:05 – Berlinist – My Darling Grace – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A Barcelona based trio who released this debut single on Bad Panda records last year. Not must is known about them. As it says on their Bad Panda release, “they prefer to let their piano, glockenspiel, accordion and ukulele speak”.
47:53 - LIVE TRACK: “Re: Your Brains” by Jonathan Coulton – My first attempt at performing a JoCo song and it went ok I think. It’s a zombie classic and hopefully I did it justice. Here’s the site I used to learn it.
- 54:15 – New Nobility – Paradise – License Unknown – Artist Submission – Sent to me via Soundcloud by the artist. I’ve played them before. Really like this track. Nice upbeat electro sounds I thought. These guys describe themselves as an International band, after forming in Sarajevo in 2005 they’re now based in Sydney, Australia.
Brian Fitzhugh wrote to me this week with a suggestion for a shared Google spreadsheet of all the tracks played on the show previously. He kindly offered to collate all the data and set something up which is amazing. He’s not a confident coder though. If anyone is interested in helping out contact me and I’ll put you in touch with Brian.
Thank you also to Martyn Lewis for his email and John Eckman for telling me about his WP plugin I might find useful. It’s called WPbook and it integrates FB more closely.
- 63:18 – La Olla Express – La Batalla – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A Spanish ska/punk/fusion outfit. Their album Panic came up in my search and I’m glad it did. It’s great! This is the opening track. Do yourself a favour and check them out. Their website is in Spanish and my Spanish is non-existent so you’ll have to investigate more yourself.
Donations: Thank you to Paul Watson and all the wonderful people who supported the show via Flattr! Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Please spread the word about the show. Tell 1 friend, it could make a big difference if everyone does it.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
You can also find me on Twitter and Identi.ca. Like us on Facebook.
Next Live Show: Sunday Feb 5th 2012 at 9pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, but if people want to hang around and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song. Rathole Radio is a proud member of the Association Of Music Podcasting.