RatholeRadio 75 – 1st Apr 2012
Posted on April 3, 2012
It’s Rathole Radio 75 already and it feels like only yesterday the show started. We’re not quite over he hill yet you young whipper snappers. Get off our lawn! I played my usual eclectic mix of music, conjured the image of Sir David Attenborough naked (pass the mind bleach) and performed a live tune. A pretty regular show then. Hope you enjoy it.
- 00:00 – Black Bones – Rock N Roll- CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A cracker from Black Bones, the Italian pirate rockers I played recently. I liked the raw punk feel of this tune and it seems to be one of the few non-Pirate themed songs off their album Pirates Of The Coast.
- 06:49 – Symphony Of Science – The Greatest Show On Earth – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – I was reminded of this site by CCHits this week. I played “A Glorious Dawn” some time ago but there’s a whole collection of these tracks. They’ve taken recordings of popular scientists and auto-tuned them into songs. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but this is nicely done. Listen out for David Attenborough and Richard Dawkins.
- 10:08 – 108 Not – Katatonia – CC BY-ND Licensed – Suggestion from listener Daz Fuller. Russian alt-rock/metal band. Don’t know a lot more about them but it sounds good. From their self-titled album.
The Corinthians will be joining us for a chat very soon. You can catch them live at the Rathole Roadshow on Friday May 11th at LEAF On Bold St along with 20lb Sounds, P’Chenga and Thom Morecroft. Entry is free and all are welcome so tell your friends!
- 18:48 – Loudog – Music – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – A German reggae band who I’ve played on the show before, but not this song. I heard this tune on The Bugcast some time ago and then it cropped up on CCHits this week. I suspect that Dave Lee submitted it. He gets everywhere.
- 22:13 – L’Fabrik – On Arrose – CC BY Licensed – Some French rap for you. It’s been a while since I played any. No idea what they’re saying for the most part, it could be rdiculously offensive but hopefully not. Nice beats. Suggested to me by listener Simon Vass. Released 2009, on Jamendo.
- 29:37 – Paul and Storm – Live – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – I saw Paul & Storm live in Manchester supporting Jonathan Coulton. Apparently they wrote this tune during a challenge to write a song like JoCo. JonTheNiceGuy, creator of CCHits was sat next to me at that gig BTW.
- 33:15 – YACHT – Shangri-La (instrumental) – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – The opening track from the last CCHits weekly show and man it’s a cracker. Beautiful bit of instrumental music. It’s doing really well on CCHits and getting loads of votes.
- 44:00 – Leslie Hunt – Lonely Home – CC BY-NC-SA Licensed – From her album “Your Hair Is On Fire”, possibly a tribute to the late Michael Jackson.
- 50:12 – LIVE SONG – My rendition of “Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town” by Pearl Jam. One of my all time favourite bands. Hope the Eddie Vedder impression stands up.
- 54:21 – Overcolored - Entering The Rat Race – CC BY-NC-ND Licensed – Polish instrumental rock I heard on Jamendo. Worth checking out their album.
- 64:13 – The Beards – You Should Consider Having Sex With A Bearded Man – License Unknown – The crazy Australian beard loving band are back. This track was actually released last year but I just came across it. Check out the video it’s great!
Donations: Yaroslav Halchenko, Durand D’souza and YorkshireTyke
Flattr Peeps: Eksortso, Craig_DT, Conniptions, Mansdell, Sirmacik, acurrie, JonTheNiceGuy, thelovebug, geospart, slestak989, fwbd, CiaranG, ghettograb & kevingranade.
Your donations are the reason I can do this. So click those Flattr buttons and use the Paypal link and I’ll keep the music coming. Deal?
Please spread the word about the show. Tell 1 friend, it could make a big difference if everyone does it.
Get In Touch: Please send me your thoughts and feedback on the music I play or any other aspect of the show. If you make music or you know people who make music and you think they should be on the show, send me suggestions and demos by all means. I’m always pleased to find new music and share it with people. Most of that is down to you, the wonderful listeners and your wisdom.
Email all feedback and suggestions to – show AT ratholeradio.org
You can also find me on Twitter and Identi.ca. Like us on Facebook.
Next Live Show: Sunday April 15th 2012 at 9:00pm UK time
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks also to everyone who turned up in our IRC channel at irc.freenode.net the channel name is #ratholeradio. I don’t expect much to happen there in the weeks between shows, but if people want to hang around and chat you’re more than welcome. Don’t forget you can access the channel from a web browser by going to webchat.freenode.net and entering #ratholeradio in the channel text box. Take care till next time folks.
Music Sources and Licensing: A few of the tracks in this show are from the artists own personal websites and don’t contain licensing information. That’s why they are listed as unknown. The individual licenses are listed next to each track, where known. If there is no license listed you must assume all rights are reserved on that song.
Rathole Radio is a proud member of the Association Of Music Podcasting.